Monday, July 2, 2012

home

where is home?  it's always, for me, been kernersville.  it's what i think of when i say the words "going home."

my parents live in the house where i was born and raised and i love to come to kernersville and just be in the house.  i love to do what i did today, which is drive around and see things.  i went to my high school and just drove around neighborhoods i would drive to as a kid and teenager.  i have adult eyes now and things definitely look different.  this is not just because they actually have changed, been remodeled, roads have been repaved and in some cases moved, fields are now new (to me) neighborhoods and businesses, but also because i see them differently as an adult.  buildings look smaller than they did when i was a kid, or, not as majestic.
i also just love being at home, in the house where i grew up.  i walk out into the backyard and see the bare grass where my little playhouse was and think about playing "cowboys and indians" with my brothers' and their friends.  i walk down to the pool and take the short cut through the neighbors house.  i pick apples off of the tree down the street knowing the people who live there and who i don't know, don't care one bit.

it's peaceful.

it's fun being around my parents.  they love to have the tv on a news channel all day long and i love the background noise that it provides.  i love having dinner with them in the same kitchen where i had every meal growing up.  i love that they always just let me be me while i'm here.  i love the house although it's recently been remodeled.  it's home.

but los angeles is home too.  it's where jason is.  it's where me, cashel and jason are a family together.

i guess i'm lucky.  i feel like i have two homes.  i have two places where i know i can always go and be wrapped up in the warmth of the people who love me and who i love.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post. I feel the same way when I go back to K-ville. Chapel Hill will always be my home away from home :-)

    ReplyDelete

I have no idea what to put here

I'm just filling up space

Followers